Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Get to Know a Disney Dad: Mufasa

Name and Claim to Fame
Mufasa from Disney's The Lion King

Qualifications
Father to Simba, mate to Sarabi, ruler of the Pride Lands



Guaranteed to Make Him Smile
Seeing his little cub presented to the Pride Lands and basking in the kingdom's cheers.

Signature Fatherly Moment
Mufasa is the poster child (er, dad / lion) for delivering tender, love and care while voicing disappointment when a disciplinary opportunity presents itself. Rather than sending Simba to his corner of the cave without antelope or water after he deliberately disobeys him by going to the elephant graveyard with Nala, Mufasa speaks from the heart. He shows disappointment, humility and love to his cub, giving voice to his own personal fears while illustrating the ramifications of his son's actions.

Mufasa: Simba, I'm very disappointed in you!
Simba: I know.

Mufasa: You could have been killed! You deliberately disobeyed me! And what's worse: you put Nala in danger!
Simba: I was just trying to be brave like you.

Mufasa: I'm only brave when I have to be! Simba, being brave doesn't mean you go looking for trouble!
Simba: But you're not scared of anything!

Mufasa: Well, I was today.
Simba: You were?

Mufasa: Yes. I thought I might lose you.
Simba: I guess even kings get scared, huh?



Achieving a Work/Life Balance
In addition to keeping his kingdom together in a delicate balance, Mufasa is ever mindful to prepare his heir with essential skills and life lessons along the way. Whether it's greeting the sunrise with his son as he explains the symbiotic relationship of the kingdom - or, putting on a pouncing clinic with the aid of Zazu, Mufasa finds a way to make his son feel like the most special cub in the entire kingdom.

Best Fatherly Advice
"Let me tell you something my father told me. Look at the stars. The great kings of the past are up there, watching over us. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I."

1 comment: